If you have unresolved debt, you can read more about what you can do
We do not collect debt that is unresolved. We only do so when we have made sure that the debt items are not barred by limitation and that we may collect the debt on the basis of the information we have. Even if you have debt items that are unresolved, the Debt Collection Agency will have registered that you have debt to the public sector. This means that, as a general rule, the debt accrues interest.
Pay off unresolved debt
You can make payments for debt items that are unresolved, but it is not certain that we may use the payment to pay off the debt. This is because we may only use your payment to reduce the debt once we have clarified:
- That the debt items are not barred by limitation
- That we may collect the debt on the basis of the information we hold.
If we may not use your payment, you will get your money back with interest.
What you need to be aware of
- As a general rule, interest is accrued on unresolved debt.
- You can make a payment, but we may not use the payment to reduce your debt as long as it is unresolved.
- Even if a payment is returned to you, it will still be registered with the Debt Collection Agency that you have unresolved debt to the public sector, unless the debt items have been cancelled. You will receive a letter about this.
Please call us if you have unresolved debt that presents challenges for you
If you have unresolved debt that presents challenges for you, for example in connection with taking out loans, you are welcome to call us on +45 70 15 73 04, so we can guide you about your options. Among other things, you can obtain documentation that we cannot accept your payment to cover unresolved debt.
In special situations and with your approval, we can use your payment to cover your unresolved debt. This might be the case, for example, if you cannot take out loans or gain employment because you have unresolved debt.
At a later time, we will review the unresolved debt that you have paid, and if it turns out that you should not have paid off the debt, you will get your money back.
Read more about your options under ‘What must I do if, for example, I cannot take out a loan from a bank or obtain a grant because I have unresolved debt?’.